Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Aunt Oda's place and a moment of Deja Vu

As a young boy growing up in central Florida during the early 60’s, I had been to my Aunt Oda’s quite a few times. In all of those visits, I had never stayed there overnight. 

One time circumstances required that I do that very thing.

When I asked where I was going to sleep, they said, “Behind the garage. You’ll like it”. 


Now, the only thing I could remember behind the garage was a big field of weeds, or the hog barn. 



Neither one of which I could see myself sleeping in and liking it very much. 

I remember once, when I was pretty young, I was invited to help out with the hogs. My Aunt Oda told me all the guys were out at the barn weaning the hogs and asked me if I wanted to watch them. At the time, I didn’t have a clue what that was.

At first I thought she said “winging” the hogs. That could have been interesting. Hogs with wings. 
Google image
 
The word “wean” had a nice ring to it, so I thought it might be fun. I ran out and jumped up on the fence to the outrageous sound of squealing hogs and the overpowering stench of hog doo. 

What she failed to mention was that they were also castrating the hogs.

Once I realized what they were doing I made a hasty retreat and left my legs clamped shut for several weeks. I couldn’t watch for long then, and I didn’t want to spend any time with any of those hogs on this occasion either. 
 
When the time came to go to sleep for the night, they took me out to the garage, which was three cars wide. We entered a door on the side of the garage. I found myself in a large room. No cars. 

There was however, a sink, a refrigerator, a stove, a couch that turned into a bed, a TV and a room off to the side with a full bath. I never knew they had an apartment out here. It was great, and I had the whole place to myself. I loved the open feel of the place. All apartments should be so cool! I think this is where I started to become interested in Architecture.

Aunt Oda’s main house was built close to a two lane highway. The house sat on a slight hill that dropped to the road. The hill was only about six feet tall or so. On the rare occasions I would visit there, I always managed to spend some time on that hill watching the trucks drive by. I used to try to get them to honk their horns as they drove by. You know, the old; reach in the air and tug motion. Back then, they almost always did. 


The first couple of times I think my Aunt thought I was out in the street and they were honking at me to get out of the way. She kept telling me to stay away from the road, even though I was sitting at the top of the hill. I guess she finally got used to it because after awhile she stopped running out to check on me.

Every once in a while a convoy of army trucks would go by. 
Google image
 
To a young boy who loved to play “army”, this was a really cool thing to witness.  To see a dozen or so army trucks rumbling down the highway, each one painted the same dull camouflage green, just seemed like a real unusual treat. I never saw any tanks or artillery, but there were a lot of jeeps, covered personnel carriers, and miscellaneous other trucks that could have been carrying anything. I was always sure that’s where the dynamite and bombs were.


One time I was sitting on the hill watching all the cars go by and antagonizing the trucks to honk when I saw an army convoy coming around the curve. I stood up and waved at them as they drove by. 

...And drove by…

...And drove by… 

I had never seen this many army trucks in my whole life! They just kept coming.

The longest convoy I had ever seen up to this point was maybe 20 vehicles or so. I lost count of how many trucks went by that day, and my arm got so tired I just stopped waving. I finally got so tired I had to sit down to watch the rest of them. I think I may have even gone inside before they stopped rolling by.

Almost thirty years later I was watching a movie when I had a moment of Deja vu. 

Almost the same exact scene replayed itself in a movie. I think it was the “Missiles of October”. 


It was about the Cuban Missile crises and the scene was showing the troop movements, in truck convoys, through central Florida.
After seeing the movie, I couldn’t remember what road she lived on. When I checked a map (good ‘ole Delorme!) 



I found the highway she used to live on was route 27. It goes right through the middle of Florida practically from one end to the other. After checking some historical facts, I learned that this happened in 1962. I would have been nine years old. 

For the life of me I can’t recall why I was staying at my Aunt Odas, but I have no doubt that I saw all those trucks supplying troops to southern Florida for the Cuban missile crises. 

It was an amazing sight.

Have you ever had a moment of Deja Vu?

20 comments:

  1. I remember that well, however, I was a teen when that happened. They tried to keep it quiet on the news, but my Mom was sharp as a tack and figured out something was up when bombers flew over our house continually. We didn't know why until after the crisis...

    I've had many, many moments of Deja Vu. It is an eerie feeling when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten about the convoy incident until I saw the movie. I wish I could find a still of the movie scene that set off the memory!
    Kinda makes you wonder how many things are going on that we never hear about, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's not deja vu, but it is a wonderful memory! Love this because you took us to your Aunt's home and we were 9 years old, too, for a few minutes.

    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Deja Vu part was when the scene came on in the movie. I felt that "Gee this seems very familiar" feeling. It wasn't until few moments later when remembered the real life incident. I had completely forgotten about it.

      Delete
  4. I see you've started to write up a storm again - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shhh! It's actually part of a repost from Myspace. Don't tell anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story and moment of deja vu. You had seen it before!! Very cool how you actually witnessed history in the making.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having lived as long as I have, I have seen a few historical moments in time. Now, if I could just remember them, haha!

      Delete
  7. this was so easy to read and a great snapshot of your youth and life..and YES i would not have liked to sleep "behind the garage" and YOU SO cracked me up with your idea of the flying pigs!! Nope wouldn't want to see the "winging of the hogs" EITHER :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. As much as I think it would be interesting to see a flying pig, it's a good thing they can't. We would have to wear raincoats.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I wish I could have found the still from the movie that set the memory off!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing a few moments of your life. A historical deja vu, how cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting! I do appreciate it.

      Delete
  10. That was cool..history unfolding right before your eyes and not knowing that it was a significant event because you were so little.Great real life story.Thanks for sharing!

    I do have deja vu whenever I have empty pocket, "Oh, this has happened before!" LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great take on the topic! Little boys and convoys....

    ReplyDelete