Thursday, September 6, 2012

Crafty Crap

My efforts at "craft making" seem to be on a slightly larger scale than the average handy dandy craft maker.

Sure, I have done some drawings with markers...




...and some with pastels:



...even some with oils and acrylics:

oil copy of a Vermeer painting


...and one or two mixed media:
Black spray paint on silver painted paper background

Pen and Ink on silver painted paper with airbrushed "streaks"


At one point, I even had a model railroad. Which, as I see it, is the ULTIMATE craft hobby.   Here is one shot of a scratch built building from that.


Sorry, the layout got dismantled in a move and never got reassembled. Maybe when I get older and have lots of time (Which most likely will not be until after these damn social networking sites die, haha!)

But the truth be told, those were done a long time ago. I'm not sure if I could do them now. Mostly because I think I have used up my allotted amount of God given patience for such time consuming endeavors.

There was a time when I made some "country style furniture".  
This started when a friend brought me some scrap lumber. He found it/pilfered it somewhere and asked me if I could use it to make a corner shelf for him.
Isn't the heart shaped door latch cute?



Of course, being the oddly curious sort of fellow I am, I eventually tried to take that one step further. I had worked for a company that produced point of sale displays (think high production) and tried to think of a way to improve the efficiency of construction. The basic concept was modular furniture based on a country style.


Please pardon the quality of the photos. These were shot with my very first digital camera which, as I recall, came out of a cereal box.  So, in all their radiant 20 x 30 pixel glory:
Heart end table bases

This shows the modular concept: Interchangeable base, center and top.



The main reason this never got pursued more than a few prototypes, was that I am not really that big of a fan of country style furniture...even thought I do live in an old farm house. 

Oh, there have been other crafty kinds of things:
reindeer made from honeysuckle limbs

Canon. Made to fit the "ship" bed I once made. Couldn't find that picture.

Beach themed seat

Forced perspective model: it's about 2" thick.


But I seem to do best with full sized construction type things. Since October is just around the corner and I am a "bit" of a Halloween nut, here are a few things I have built and are stored at my house:
Electric chair with loud buzzer and flashing lights

I'll add a motor to this one of these days so it opens by itself.

This works! It won't really chop your head off, but when you see that blade come down, doubts set in.


 So, that is some of my handy dandy crafty crap.

Whut U got?

This was written for the "Focus on this" prompt: Crafts at Blogging For Fun facebook group

12 comments:

  1. WOW!!! I never knew you were so crafty... Well, maybe I did once, but I forgot! I love the corner cupboards. You do great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a long time since I have posted any of my "craftiness". I think the last time was on the long lost place called Myspace back in '02.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow and wow. You are just multi talented and downright surprising. I love the corner cabinets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what happens when a fellow has a high curiosity about things and no real vices...or at least none that I am willing to admit, haha!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow. you are so "crafty". I love the corner shelf with the heart shaped latches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing to me how creativity manifests itself. You are a man of many talents!! You give a special flair to everything you created. Wow.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many talents, yes. You should see me sing and dance!
      eh. maybe not.

      Delete
  6. I found you black & white pictures especially fascinating. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting! The one of the woman with the hands was done in about half an hour with production spray gun.

      Delete
  7. Les! What a surprise! Love, love all of these! Your drawings and paintings are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. Yours was quite impressive!

    ReplyDelete