Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Favorite Teacher (BFF 201)


When I think of teachers, my first thought goes to grade school through high school teachers.


I did not have very many “favorite” teachers. This may be due to the fact that I probably wasn‘t one of their ‘favorite“ students.   I was not what anyone would call a stellar student in high school. 


My mind was usually on some astral plain and definitely not focused on school. If I couldn’t put an immediate practical use to something they were trying to teach me, it went straight thru the wide open place between my ears and back into the infinity of space. 


I certainly couldn’t see any use for diagramming the structures of sentences, or dissecting the hidden meanings of poetry. I can’t say that  anyone really taught me those things, but there were certainly those that tried. 


One of those that tried, and probably thought she failed, was Mrs. Schidecker,  my high school English teacher. 




Ironically, what she did teach me was the inspiration to find my inner voice through writing.  You can blame her for my penchant for blogging.






In High school I never studied for any tests. Flirting with all the girls just took up way too much time. So when test time came I simply made up answers, or made snide and comedic remarks about how useless this information was.  She never told me what an idiot I was for not making an effort to learn. 


Instead, when the test came back (usually with a D or F) she would have equally funny (and intelligent) comments scribbled in the margins. Something along the lines of:


 “While I certainly enjoy reading your humorous  answers and sharing them with my church going friends, I can not in good conscience give you anything other than the F you know you deserve. However, your answers are very creative and if you would just watch your spelling you could fool people into thinking you are as smart as you really are.” 


or 


“If you would just spend a little time studying, you wouldn’t have to think so hard making up these wonderfully wrong answers”


The funny thing is, I started paying more attention so my answers would have even more satire to them because they were the right answers! Somehow I managed to pass that class with a C. But I give her an A for the inspiration and efforts.


She was a tall, imposing, and intelligent women. Looking back, it occurs to me that she seemed to have a slight aura of sadness about her. Her funny answers kept me from thinking about that too much. 


But now, I wish I had asked her about that, and I wish I could thank her for showing me the fun in writing and getting feedback.




Did you have a favorite teacher? Who was it, and what did they teach you?




This was written for the Blogging For Fun on Facebook  group. 






Follow the link. Check 'em out. They will be more than glad to let you join...unless your a real jerk. They are not allowed.

6 comments:

  1. Ah ha! So you were the class clown? Why am I not surprised? hee hee

    Well, my thanks also goes to Mrs. Schidecker because I have been blessed to enjoy many of your blogs both here and myspace. She did a great job of grabbing your interest.

    She does have a slightly sad, distant look in the photo. Even if you asked, she probably wouldn't have told you. Teacher/student stuff...you know...

    I enjoyed your blog and I love Mrs. Schidecker's comments on your wrong answers. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, in the classes I wasn't good at, I was quiet and faded into the back row.
      Better to be thought a fool, than to say something and erase all doubt! Not sure who said that, but it is oh, so true!

      ..and you are probably right, even if I had asked, I think she would have kept it to herself.

      Delete
  2. Hmm my favorite teacher would be Msgt. Ruiz from my high school when I was in rotc.. He helped me through HS to be honest. Made me the person I am today!! I hated everyone to be honest, never trusted anyone, didnt have repesct for anyone.. He changed that.. he has told me that he wanted to give up on me many many times, but never did. and boy oh boy am i glad.. haha so I thank him everyday :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you had someone in your life that helped you when you needed it. Everbody should have that!

      Delete
  3. The class clown certainly makes the day interesting. I've had many a moment when I've had to swallow my snickers not to feed into these antics. Sounds like this teacher knew how to reach you at your level. Interestingly, I hated diagramming sentences way back when, but these days, I enjoy it. I think the kids see it as a puzzle to be solved and like it too. They don't grown when we diagram one sentence each week and get very excited when they do it correctly. Mind you, these are gifted fourth and fifth graders diagramming complex sentences. Maybe they're not normal kids.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that must be it: they are NOT normal kids, haha!
      I often wonder if there is such a thing as a "normal" kid. Like most people, they all seem to have their own little "quirks".... Which makes life very interesting.

      Delete