Monday, May 21, 2012

Somebody's watching me during my close calls


Being a lazy...uh, I mean resourceful person, I am going to combine this weeks BFF challenges "Somebody's Watching Me" and "Close Calls".



Several years ago I owned a cute little 1996 Tracker.

Because it is so small, I affectionately dubbed it the quarter car or the Jeepknee, because it is about knee high to a real Jeep. I bought it as a fun, weekend drive-in-the-country vehicle.

It has two fiberglass tops that can be removed for open air cruising: Perfect for looking at all of the great architecture in little Ohio towns.
It was almost as much fun as cruising on a motorcycle, except I didn't have to worry about hitting gravel patches.
 
One day, several years ago, I was on the way back from a site visit in Cincinnati driving in my little Jeepknee.

A Semi suddenly decided to share a lane with me.
(Thats what I get for leaving enough space between me and the car ahead!). There was no one in front of him but he suddenly changed lanes. To make matters worse, he suddenly slammed on his brakes.

I swerved to avoid him and found out first hand about the roll over issues associated with tall SUVS.

The tail end first swerved out to the right, then a touch of the wheel, compensated too much, and it swerved out the left. It then decided to spin all the way around until I was heading backwards on all four lanes of Northbound I-75...staring straight at the front of another Semi truck bearing down on me. The momentum of the first swerves continued until the tracker went sideways. This time it was going to slow to slide on the tires, so it flipped over and slid another 50 feet or so…on its top.

Apparently, the driver of the Semi never saw my bright, flame red Tracker. He continued on his merry way, leaving me upside down in the middle of heavy traffic.

Thanks asshole. Glad I took such good care of my little baby for the last six years.

It took me about 10 minutes to get my big butt out of the wreckage. I had to give someone the keys so they could unlock the back hatch and I could crawl out.   

This was my Tracker after that close call:


My hair should have been much shorter for a really long time.

The amazing thing is, I didn't have a scratch on me. This is the second time I have been in an accident where the vehicle didn't have the greasy side down, and I walked out of it without a scratch.

All I can say is: 
Somebody must be watching over me, and those Angels must love me.

Now the real question is; Is the third time a charm, or do I have cats lives and still have eight more to go?

Drive careful folks. And I hope your angels are watching you too.

7 comments:

  1. Holy cow, Lee!!! You must be living right... that's all I have to say...

    I rolled my VW back in the 60's. I can verify that it is no fun in a flipping vehicle!

    Hey... Drive safe!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet a VW rolls pretty good!
      It's amazing how much noise it makes, isn't it? ...and how that noise sticks in your mind for so long afterward.

      Delete
    2. I don't remember anything about the noise. I rolled over onto a grass median. What I remember the most is that just before I hit that median curb, our baby nephew had been sleeping in the backseat, but had woken up and was fussy... So, my husband brought him to the front and the baby went back to sleep. We were traveling at night, so my husband was also snoozing with a pillow between them and the window. We didn't roll all the way over because of the roof rack. We ended up passenger side down on the median. Thank God my husband was holding our nephew because if he had still been laying on the back seat, I don't think he would have survived being thrown around inside of a car at the ripe old age of 9 months. I wonder why it took so long for child protection laws. Back then, hardly anybody had car seats or seat belts. I wonder how we all survived those days...

      Delete
  2. I can't even imagine. Bless you and your obviously blessed guardian angels.
    Hope they stay with you for a good long time. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is scary. I am glad you came out OK!! Be safe.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an experience I will long remember, and hope to never duplicate...again.

      Delete