Saturday, September 9, 2023

GBE-R.4 Motivation and Expectations

 WHAT WAS YOUR MOTIVATION IN JOINING THE GBE GROUP, AND WHAT DO YOU HOPE TO GET OUT OF IT?

This is easy. Way back in Myspace days, and shortly after dinosaurs roamed the earth,  I learned what a blog was. My first couple of blogs amounted to “What is this blog thing? What do I do with it?”

Those two sentences were the sole content of my first TWO blogs.

I wrote a few more, just to have a reason to write out some of my mind drivel. It’s best to get it out of my mind so it doesn’t continually rattle around in there. After those oh-so-exciting blogs went unnoticed for days (okay, maybe weeks or months) someone actually read one...and commented on it!

Holy crap! Their comment indicated that they actually liked it.

Before that, the only people that had ever read anything I wrote were school teachers, who merely corrected my grammar and spelling, or people that knew me, and were probably just being polite.

But a stranger read my mind wanderings and enjoyed it enough to bother making a comment. Granted, it would be another month before I realized I could reply to their comment, but I was hooked.




I wandered into a couple of blog contests and groups. No, I never won a blog contest, but more and more people started leaving comments on my mind musings.

If someone made a comment on my blog, I would be sure to stalk them, err, I mean, check out their blog and try to leave a witty comment there. Usually, I would add them to my friends list. Sometimes, the comment sections of the blogs were as fun to read as the blogs themselves.

Since everybody just had screen names (mine was NiceInOhio) it gave me a certain anonymity to write whatever I felt like and let the real me out. The crazy, irreverent and sometimes naughty me that I usually reserved for extremely close friends.

Hi. My name is Lee I am a blog addict. 

I am relearning how to find my way to all the other blogging platforms and leave comments, hopefully, not leaving too many comments with the name “anonymous”

My motivation for joining this group is to get inspiration (in the form of a prompt and from other writers) to write again.

I hope to regain some of the camaraderie that Bloggers on Myspace had. I hope to read some good blogs that will make me think, learn, or wonder. I hope to write blogs that will amuse, amaze, or at the very least, help you waste some time and not feel too guilty about it.

And yes, I realize I could have just started out with the last two paragraphs and been done with it. But where is the fun in that?

What do you like about writing or reading blogs?

 

12 comments:

  1. MySpace provided my first blogging opportunity, too. I was amazed! What a fantastic way to meet people from all over!

    One of my favorite things about blogging then and now is how quickly we all get to really know one another thorough our writing. Most bloggers tend to address at least some of the topics from a personal level, sharing their outlooks, attitudes, and life experiences. Not much small talk--we get right into the good stuff.

    In face to face relationships, in often takes years to really get to know someone. Some of my blogging friends who know far more about me than neighbors who've lived on my block for decades do. Those connections are such a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure some of my blogging friends know the real me better than some real life friends. It's always interesting to see where the topic leads different people to go to.

      Delete
    2. I agree about building and learning. My space was just a social spot for me. I didn’t belong or even know about GBE. I just wrote because my head explodes if I don’t.
      Still true today.
      Good to “see” you again!

      Delete
    3. I know what you mean about head explosions. I gotta get it out of my mind so I can move on to the next issue

      Delete
  2. I’m disappointed that I didn’t meet (read) you earlier. Nice to meet you Lee.

    You have to admit that there were so many different blogs and I happened to stumble across Alicia and her group of wonderful bloggers, many of them that I now call friends. Wonderful write, sir ! ✍️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were times when I couldn't keep up with all the blogs in fact, I'm a bit behind this week. Hello and welcome!

      Delete
  3. I love the camaraderie, too! And a chance to be invited into the rhythm of other people’s lives, it’s a lovely thing. We learn so much about how human we all are, after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always fascinated with my fascination of reading other people's random thoughts

      Delete
  4. I like the fact that a writer realizes he had an opportunity to end the blog early, take the easy way out, yet he chose to continue on. I think that takes guts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can never be said that I do not know how to ramble on. At least when blogging. In real life, I'm very quiet.

      Delete
  5. Over the years, since we all jumped the MySpace ship, it has been great keeping in contact through FB.
    Lee, I do believe you found me when I first joined. You were all, "It's me! NiceinOhio!" And, I was all, "YAY!"
    I'm so thankful so many of us kept in touch❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. FB is a completely different animal. It's too easy to hit the "like" button and move on. I hardly ever leave a comment on FB. I'm really glad to see we are getting the "band" back together!

    ReplyDelete