Friday, September 15, 2023

Beauty

When I hear the term “beauty” my mind instantly goes to women. I don’t think I have ever met a woman I didn’t like. They always have some feature that I find attractive, and it’s an easy thing to find several. Physically it could be her eyes, lips, hair, and yes, boobs or legs. Sometimes physical beauty doesn’t extend beyond the exterior. Other times a woman’s inner beauty is her best feature and can be the most endearing. But today, my mind goes in other directions.

I slowly become aware that I am waking up to another day. When I manage to pry my eyes open from A) a deep sleep, or B) a restless night, I can see sky above my head. Instead of a headboard, I have a window by my head. Unless it is very hot, very cold, or raining hard, it is usually open. The cool night air seems to help me sleep, especially when I am buried under the weight of a warm blanket.

I normally awake to the singing songs of twittering birds. I don’t know why they think they have to start at 5 AM, but like when my alarm clock used to go off, I can almost always go back to sleep. But even at 5 AM, there is a certain beauty to their music.

Eventually, a cool scent of dewy grass drifts into my brain as the sun begins to creep in through my window and into my eyes. The bright rays of light bring with them a comforting warmth. Without getting out of bed, I know that sunshine will be hitting the dew on the grass and glistening like icicles in winter. An early morning breeze usually starts green leaves fluttering in the trees. Their quiet rush of sound will be a song of its own that always seems to be telling me some secret of life that I will never be able to clearly understand. Maybe it is trying to inform me that beauty is all around. I just have to take time to see it.

Most of my life I was busy working, or just trying to get through life. I can’t say that I have had a difficult life, but it was tedious in that I rarely had time to just enjoy all the beauty around me. I always seemed to be starting the next project, immediately after finishing the last.

While I have always enjoyed the beauty of women, music, and art (in that order) the natural wonders just seemed to be there as background noise or something to see at some point at an undetermined future time.

As I get older, and slower, the world seems to spin faster and envelope me more, quietly suggesting that I stop and pay attention to the wonders around me. I have become more aware of simple beauty like blue sky, sunshine, and pleasant breezes.

I always thought that when I retired, I would get a small motor home and my curious mind would head out to see all the wonders this Nation has to offer. I’m pretty sure I have reached that point where my bucket list has grown longer than my time to achieve it, and my lust for adventure is now far greater than my body can endure.

I still get out into the beauty, but I’m sure I can mark hiking across the Grand Canyon of my list of things that I think I will actually do. When I do get out, I usually try to capture the beauty with photography. This photo is from a recent trip to Upper Michigan. 

 


My appreciation of beauty seems to be getting stronger as I get older. Maybe I just have more time to notice it. When I do, it brings a certain peace to my mind and soul.

What kind of beauty can affect your disposition?

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo! There is something wonderful about slowing down enough to pay attention. Kids do it instinctively, and they express wonder and joy over the things they rest of us too often zip right past without a thought for the gifts available to us. But then we circle back. Grandkids sure help that process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandkids certainly do help with noticing the world around us!

      Delete
  2. Love the pic…very serene.
    I also admire a man who understands aging means slowing down to enjoy the life he’s worked so hard to create. And while you’re at it, you are finding nature. How wonderful. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That comment above is me. Duh.

      Delete
    2. Glad you clarified that. I just replied to a comment as anonymous. I'll get the hang of this yet, haha!

      Delete
  3. To answer your question any kind of beauty in nature, from animals being born to glaciers calving, and then there's the places that I've wanted to go, like Italy, Greece through the old historic buildings of the UK and France, and Ireland, Germany. I have roots there, DNA-speaking, and I just want to check out the "Old Country".

    As for what you said, I don't think you should give up on your retirement dreams. At least find a modified plan to your original one, but don't give it up entirely. I mean, the things you think you can't do, modify those, still go to those places. You never know what you're really capable of until you try. And unless you're bedridden at the early age of 53 and can't do it, you still have time. So get on out there! ; -)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on it. I keep getting busy with other things...still.

      Delete
  4. A cool breeze in the summertime, especially in the South, is one of the most beautiful things in the world to me. I like to stop and close my eyes, so I can really absorb it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember standing in a group of pine trees in Florida one time. The breeze in the tops seemed like they were whispering to me.

      Delete
  5. *Heavy content sigh* Ahhhhhhh.... That was beautiful.
    I could hear it all, and smell the morning dew 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. My work here is done, haha!

      Delete