Sunday, October 15, 2023

Best day of my life

 The best day of my life was actually two days spent naked and involved in strenuous sexual activity. This being a public forum, I can’t tell you about that. I can tell you that I’m old enough that particular best day will never happen again.

That being said, I would like to say the next best days where when my kids, or grand kids were born. The truth is they were so long ago, or such a blur, that those days fade in my aged mind.

I have had a lot of really good days in my life. When you don’t have a lot of really bad days in a life, it’s sometimes easy to blow through really good ones without giving them much thought.

Sometimes the world around you becomes a part of you, and you a part of it. On really rare occasions you are aware of that perfect moment as it happens.

The first time I ever had enough time to travel out west, was well after I was 40 years old. From my house it is about a three day drive to get to the interesting spots and I never had enough vacation time to make that trip worthwhile. Utah was one of those spots. I wanted to experience it fairly raw. 

My wife prefers accommodations such as the Hyatt Regency and refuses to stay in anything less. When I suggest we boondock (camp in remote areas with no facilities) she was sure I had lost my mind. She said have fun, I’ll fly out in a few weeks and we can do it right.

So I threw a mattress and a cooler in the back of my pickup truck and headed out for the wild country of Utah. With thoughts of scorpions, poisonous snakes and/or spiders crawling into the back of if my sleeping area, I eventually found a spot on a high bluff overlooking a desert view. As night fell, I folded down the tailgate and watched a glorious sunrise with nobody else around for miles.

Any thoughts of poisonous critters or even wild animals seemed to flee my mind. I had never felt so at peace, or so comfortable being alone. It was like I was meant to be there, or like coming home. I fell asleep watching as an amazing array of stars filled the night sky. I never bothered to close up the back of the truck bed and awoke to an amazing sunrise. A best day for sure.

There were other best days, but this is long enough for now. 

 


 

4 comments:

  1. I'll start by saying I'm not one to go camping. If I were to though, what you describe sounds FAR better than staying at a campground, which is a 100% no for me. Still, I'd take a hotel over camping. No need for the Hyatt, but clean is a must.

    One last thing. You open with that sentence and then... nothing? Really? 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started to hate regular campgrounds. Too many people to close together. I have also learned that I like my own company. As for finishing the first story, I have written some erotica but only put it where it can be read by someone that has requested it, or I know they may like it

      Delete
  2. That's one thing I never got to do is go west. The farthest west from where I am in NC is Denver, CO. and I was only therefor a hockey game weekend, not long enough to explore or check out anything more than the arena, the hotel, and the airport! I find more places that I want to see now that I can't travel, but it also adds to the places in my mind that I've always wanted to go.

    So thank you for taking me on a camping trip I might have otherwise passed on, not because I'm afraid of peeing outdoors or of critters (well, maybe some of the crawly ones), but Utah is a long way from where I'm from . The Valley of the Gods looks amazing, and I can't help but imagine what it must have been like when the sun went down. Thanks again, Lee, this was great!

    P. S. And yeah, what Beth said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See my comment to Beth about my erotic writing. Somewhere back in my blog there are other travel related blogs. If I wasn't so lazy I would post links. There is some amazing scenery around Denver. It's a shame you missed it.

    ReplyDelete