Wednesday, August 2, 2023

GBE Reincarnated week One: Loss

 I am so happy to see that the GBE (Group Blogging Experience) is starting up again. It was a major Loss to Bloggers when Alicia retired the series way back in 2009. (I think?)

I usually try to keep things light and fun when I blog. This week the GBE subject is Loss, so I am not even going to try to keep it fluffy.

LOSS

I’m pretty sure 2020 turned out to be a year of Loss for everyone.

It certainly was for me.

Before 2020 I was self employed and made custom cabinets and vending décor. Almost all of my work goes into commercial public places like company break areas and cafeterias. 2019 ended with me completing one of the largest jobs I had ever done in my solo career. Oh, did I mention that I am a company of one? I quote, design, engineer, build, deliver and install all my jobs all by my little lonesome self. Here is a sample of what I build.

 


 

After that job I felt a little tired but just thought it was because it was a busy year. January hit and let’s face it, who feels peppy in January?

Then my stomach started hurting. In my usually “let’s wait and see if it goes away or I die” manner of handling health issues, it was a month before I bothered to make a doctors appointment.

Quite a few tests later, it was decided that I had several stomach ulcers. I got some drugs and that started to fade away. I was still feeling more tired than my usual lazy self. So I made finally made another doctors appointment.

About the second week of March Covid hit. By the third week, my business phone calls and emails dropped to zero. Nada. Zilch. It was as if the world just stopped. This actually turned out to be as good thing, because I was getting so tired and winded, that I don’t think I could have done a job.

Because of the Covid, it was difficult to get doctors appointments. Try to make an appointment? Four weeks. Try to get a test done? Four weeks. Get those results back? Four weeks. Set an appointment with the doc to talk about those results? Yep. Four weeks. It was about the middle of June before the tests determined that I had a blocked heart artery. By then, I felt like I was running on about 25% of my life battery.

It was almost….wait for it….three weeks before they could get me scheduled to have a heart stent put in. A few days before surgery, my back seizes up and I can barely walk. I am pretty sure the reason I had the ulcers was because I was eating Ibuprofen, so that option was out for the back pain.

More doctors visits and tests with the four week period between each one.

Long story short... (I know, too late for that.) Because of the back issues I spent a lot of time in bed when I should have been doing cardio therapy.(which, because of Covid, I couldn’t get scheduled until August)

As a result of not moving much, my weight dropped from 285 to 210 over a matter of six months. I weighed 220 in high school. Most of the weight loss was muscle mass.

Almost a year after the first stent, probably because I wasn’t getting much movement, I would need another. A year after that, they gave up on stents and did a triple bypass. That was fun.

I now feel like I am running at about 45%. I have only done a couple of small jobs since 2020 and they required a lot more effort than normal. Fortunately, I was old enough to start drawing Social Security. So the last few years haven’t been a total LOSS.

I’m not writing this to get sympathy, just stating facts.

However, If you are going to tell me how handsome, smart and talented I am, ya’ better do it quick, haha! 

How did 2020 affect you? 

14 comments:

  1. Holy cow! That's a lot. I'm glad you're doing better (45% beats 25%) and hope you continue to improve.

    I own and operate a small daycare, which shut down mid-March, 2020. I didn't reopen until August of 2021. My husband was off work for close to three months in 2020, so we got a little preview of what retirement and spending 24/7 together might feel like. That part was kind of wonderful.

    The rest was challenging. It was a good while before we got to hug our babies and grands, my husband's workplace was a festival of COVID, and we knew people who lost their lives. Grateful for that time to be in the rear view mirror.

    Oh, and you sure are handsome, smart, and talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you made it through 2020! Oh, and you obviously have the great taste to realize all of my attributes, haha!

      Delete
  2. You've really been put through the ringer several times, Ohio. What a survivor you are! Through all the delays, you persevered. That shows you've got grit, my friend.

    Yes, Those two years were really tough for so many people. I too am relieved to be moving forward again. Normalcy wasn't anything I gave thought to, prior to 2020. Now, I cherish it!

    May your health continue to improve with each passing day. I am impressed with your skills. If you did these on a quarter tank, I have no doubt your other pieces are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right? Who ever thought normalcy would be something we would look forward to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're still with us, my friend❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Darkness surrounds me, but I still have a candle, haha!

      Delete
  5. I hope your health continues to improve! 2020 was a scary time as it was, but to go through health issues and having to wait all of that time for treatment...YIKES! So glad you made it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we never have another "2020". One was enough!

      Delete
  6. wow! that's a lot to have to deal with. I know about ibuprofen and stomach ulcers,; I can no longer take aleve because of bursting a stomach ulcer that I didn't even know I had until then. set off a chain of events that still affect me today. but that happened in 2014, and because of it, I was pretty well isolated at home already and had been for years, so it was old hat for me. Nice work, but I'm sorry it brought you to this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isolation can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on if you want it or not. Sometimes it's nice to have your own space and other times it just gets lonely! Hope things get better for you.

      Delete
  7. I couldn’t even imagine! I am very glad you are improving and still able to work at something you obviously love.
    For me…the quarantine period was kind of a blessing. We were alone, my husband and I and we actually enjoyed each other without interruption.
    Now that he’s gone, I cherish the memories of our confinement, but also find myself remembering how many people we lost to COVID. too many.
    It’s really good to get lost in your words again. I do enjoy your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for your loss. That has to be extremely difficult after so many years together. I'm pretty sure I would be lost with out my better half!

      Delete
  8. Those isolation years were so tough. I remember having to home school my eldest through that time & how much it affected him without being able to see his friends or having the normal routines. It had such an impact for his last 2 years in infant school.

    My partner also had a severe back problem throughout lockdown & even now there's days where he can't move. After 3 years they are finally giving him the injections he needs in his spine to help him. It's going to be nerve wracking as there's many complications that could happen but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    I'm glad that you're back up to feeling 45% better, I hope that it will soon reach the 100% for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think 100% is a thing of the past, but I'll take what I can get. I can't imagine being a school kid in 2020. What a weird, lonely year it would have been. My niece missed her graduation because of it.

    ReplyDelete